Friday, March 26, 2010

Thanks for Packing My Parachute

Jet fighters in Vietnam crossed paths in a restaurant in Kansas City. One of them stood up and walked over to a table, looked down at the patron and pointed his finger and said, “You’re Captain Plumb.”

The man looked up at the stranger and said, “Yes sir, I’m Captain Plumb.”

He said, “You flew jet fighters in Vietnam. You were on the aircraft carrier Kitty Hawk. You were shot down. You parachuted into enemy hands and spent six years as a prisoner of war.”

Captain Plumb asked him, “How in the world did you know all that?” the man replied, “Because, I packed your parachute.”

They immediately held out grateful hands. This guy came up with just the proper words. “I guess it worked.”

Captain Plumb asked him, “Do you keep track of all the parachutes you pack?” “No” he responded, it’s enough gratification for me just to know that I served.”

I had the honor hearing this story from a Principal of an elementary school. I was a guest at a staff meeting. I was a green toastmaster when I was introduced to Principal Mrs. Peppers and so impressed with her delivery.

She spoke professionally. I was there to ask her if she would like to be a part of a community outreach literacy program a corporate business was rolling out. If I could come and read to children. Mrs. Peppers agreed and two weeks later I arrived on Valentine’s day.

She asked me if I could entertain/read to the Kindergarten children
For 45 minutes. I was eager and agreed. Mrs. Peppers packed my parachute and I didn’t even realize it. When I arrived at the school she told me I would be reading to kindergarteners, first graders and second grade in the cafetorium.

How many children? She replied 300. We’ve got a microphone set-up for you.

Now, my vision was that I would go into a classroom of 20 children not 300 children with 10 teachers in the audience.

My mouth completely dried up. I was so nervous! I was petrified.
She assured me that I hid it completely and was wonderful.

That was the springboard to my storylady career. I loved the instant gratification from the audience. I loved going shopping at my local Publix and children recognizing me at the check-out, in the parking lot. “I remember you!” Mommy, she’s the lady who wore the pink dress and diamond earrings. It was incredible.

I decided to get a website and researched for months and months local, national storytellers. The funny thing about this endeavor, my new career is I had a major health issue. I had a vocal chord injury. A small tumor had wrapped itself around a vocal chord nerve and was removed two years prior. Everyday for six years I lived with chronic pain. I realized I had to rest my voice. Not speak. I began nurturing myself.

Drastic lifestyle choices. Little steps, Big steps, my priority was to rest. Not speak. Do you have any idea how hard this was for me? I love to talk. I have the gift of gab.

For the past two years I’ve done pro-bono gigs. I really began to study speaking skills at Toastmasters. My fellow members packed my parachute. You are a storyteller Roxanne. I am. I was discovering my speaking style(s). It was a time of discovery. It has been a time to identify my niche.

For the first time in two years I was paid for a speaking engagement. I’m a professional. Last Saturday.

Wed., I received this email:
Hello!
I am doing some preliminary searches for keynote speakers and came across your information on the web. We are looking for a keynote who could also offer some additional trainings on communication at our Early Childhood Conference in Roseburg, OR.
If you could email me with any details you could offer I would really appreciate it.

So what do I do….after the shock and excitement. I think to myself…is someone playing a prank on me?

I google Roseburg, Or. I good Douglas County Early Childhood Planning Coalition. I google the community college. Yes.
Being a toastmaster you develop relationships. I immediately emailed Mace, Charlene, called Myra and John. How much should I charge? Someone wants to pay me. Holy Cow! Someone wants a proposal….this is exciting. This is really happening

No comments:

Post a Comment